OTR Tire Manufacturing Consulting – Training – On-Site Support
Senior Tire Consultants
A. PROJECT PLANNING
1. General plant layout and work flow planning consulting
XOTC can provide consulting services for work flow planning for the OTR tire manufacturer. Overall plant layouts should be coordinated an engineering firm familiar with the local regulations for Utilities and building codes etc. XOTC can provide consulting services on equipment footprints provided by the equipment manufacturers.
2. Equipment selection
XOTC can provide consulting services for selection of the major equipment for the Radial OTR Plant to produce tires sizes 27.00R49 and larger.
3. Utility requirement and specification
XOTC can provide consulting services for the utility requirements (electric, water, air and vacuum) for the OTR tire manufacturing equipment by using equipment utility requirement specifications. Building utility requirements that meet local building codes should be specified by a local Engineering.
4. XOTC can provide consulting services for mixing, steel cord calender, innerliner calender, component extruding, tread and sidewall extruding, bead winding, apex, cutting, tire building and curing operation procedure and (work in progress) product quality control standard
XOTC can provide consulting services to develop working specifications that define how the equipment is to be used for the manufacturer of Radial OTR Tires. This consulting can also include development of a quality control standard will be provided which identifies the limits and tolerances that are required in the manufacturing operation.
5. WIP product storage standard
XOTC can provide consulting services that detail the age limits for all raw materials, in process inventory and finished inventory. This information will show the limits when action is required to correct an item and the limit when an item is to be scrapped.
6. Green tire storage, transport and handling tooling
XOTC can provide consulting services for the design of green tire storage trucks. These support systems are required to support the radial green tire prior to being cured. They can also define the age limit for the storage of green tires.
7. Training of technical personal, including how to design radial OTR tires
XOTC can provide consulting services to provide a technical training program for all personnel from tire design, compounding, tire repair and the manufacturing operation
8. QC on each process and operator training
XOTC can provide consulting services to develop a Quality Control process manual for each operation. XOTC can provide trainers for the manufacturing operators and some vendors and provide training on equipment operation.
B. COMPOUNDING TRAINING
XOTC can provide training services for OTR compounders in the following subjects:
- Raw materials: All the major and special raw materials will be reviewed. It will include polymers, blacks, silica, oils, stabilizing and curing systems.
- Compound development: how to develop compounds for every type of product, every application and every component
- Compound mixing: How to mix compounds for efficiency and quality including measuring tools for benchmarking both of these parameters
- Curing: How to assign safe and efficient curing parameters.
- Testing: Compound release testing, how to assign release limits and what are the tests needed for predicting compound performance
After completing the training XOTC will work on-site with the local compound development group to design superior compounds for each application. XOTC will review the following compounds:
- Tread compounds: A minimum of 3, Heat resistant (HR), Standard & Cut resistant.
- Base compound
- Ply compounds for bias tires
- Wire compounds for radial tires
- Sidewall compounds
- Hard and soft apex compounds
- Chafer compound
- Wedge compounds
- Inner liner compounds
In order to develop these compounds XOTC usesthe best predictive tests available to the rubber industry.
XOTC will assess the mixing of each compound and the best mixing techniques critiqued.
C. CONSTRUCTION DESIGN
XOTC will train engineers how to design radial OTR tires
1. For each size, XOTC will train on profile layout, tread design, letter layout, mold design drawing, tire and building drum material layout.
XOTC, can provide cavity layout, tread design, letter layouts, mold design drawings and cured cross section drawings for the following sizes: 27.00R49, 30.00R51, 33.00R51, 37.00R57, 42/90R57, 46/90R57, 40.00R57, 53/80R63, 56/80R63 and 59/80R63.
2. Tire building process table
XOTC can provide a tire building specification, which identifies all of the parts for the sizes mentioned above. Each part will be identified and the dimensions of each part (width, length, gauge, contour (if required), location on the building drum and weight of each component.
3. Each (work in progress) part dimension and die head dimension
XOTC can provide die dimensions for parts that are required to be extruded (exp. Apex, gum chafer). All laminated components will be using similar die configurations for treads, sidewalls and shoulder wedges.
4. Tolerance of each part during building process
XOTC can identify tolerances for green component dimensions will be specified as it relates to width, length, gauge and contour. Cured tire tolerances can be provided on the cured cross section drawings of the individual components (exp. turn-up height, chipper sets and endings)
D. TIRE CURING
1. Curing instruction
2. Curing media requirement
3. Finished product visual inspection guideline
XOTC can provide a cured tire final finish specification. This identifies the limits for the different visual items (exp. Flash, off set register, tread and /or sidewall lights, bead toe condition etc.) It can also identify which items are repairable and the correct procedure for the repair.
4. X-ray equipment specification
X-ray vendors will provide training on the proper X-ray procedure of large Radial OTR tires. XOTC can assist in the training of personnel which will be operating the x-ray equipment.
5. Tire QC standard using the above equipment
XOTC can provide an x-ray specification that defines the limits for various items that will be observed in the cured tire. Belt centering, % wire spacing, off angle ply, piled belt endings, turn-ply height, off angle turn-up ply and bead area condition.
E. TESTING AND INSPECTION
1. Physical property testing equipment list
XOTC can provide a list of the physical testing equipment that is required to produce a top quality Radial OTR tire.
2. Finished tire mileage testing machine and other equipment technical specification
XOTC would not recommend a laboratory dynamometer as it is only used for establishing base line information and not a tool that can determine acceptable performance in the OTR environment. A testing machine to determine inflated dimensions, footprint, and load deflection data is all that is required.
3. In-house and field tire performance measurement guideline
XOTC can provide OTR Tire field performance testing plans and procedures.
XOTC Senior Field Engineers are available, under contract, for follow on Consulting, Training and On-Site Support.